Thursday, December 11, 2008

Taking My Own Advice . . .

. . . After all, if I've got something of value to add to the conversation, I might start simply by taking my own advice.

Let me explain.

Last night I ran into a former student, currently out of work, a little distraught, as you may imagine.

"I'd love to get into graphic design. I wish I'd studied it in high school. I wasn't encouraged, but I wish I'd done it anyway.
"I also really like animals," she continued. "I have an interview tomorrow for a job in a vet's office. It doesn't pay great, but it's working with animals, and that's what I really want to do."

"More than graphic design?" I asked.

"I think . . ." she hesitated. "Yes, more than graphic design. I volunteer to care for the adoptable cats at PetSmart, and I just adore cats. I know I oculd do great work if only I could work with cats all day, every day."

Then, since I have long fancied myself something of a career counselor, I started in.

"Let me tell you what to do with your life," I began. "Only please don't notice I've done nothing with mine." (I kid because I love.)

And you know, there've been some hall of fame coaches who weren't all that as players. (Establishing ethos, establishing ethos.) Sparky Anderson and Earl Weaver, Tommy LaSorda and Tony LaRussa in baseball. Joe Gibbs and John Madden, Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi weren't superstars in the NFL. Red Auerbach, no ace on the court, did OK coaching and managing the Boston Celtics.

But I digress. (I digress, therefore I am.)

Point is, you can't make someone talented, but any coach who adheres to Morgan Wooten's 3 Rules, and more importantly, gets their clients to, too, will go far.

So will their clients.

Those three rules?

1. Work hard.

2. Play smart.

3. Have fun.

So, here's what I told my former student:

* Go online

* Find an expert on your passion, cats.

* Join the conversation, then . . .

* PAY ATTENTION!

* Read what they write. Listen to their podcasts. Note who they refer to. Read and listen to them, too. But mostly, above all else . . .

* PAY ATTENTION!

In three months, you'll be ready to respond intelligently -- not only to your expert, but also to someone who has the power to hire you. Or you'll feel confident enough to start your own blog, or even . . .

. . . your own business, doing what you love, what you want to immerse yourself in every day, living your passion, your dream.

Making A Living Without A Job, as my good friend Barbara Winter, the person who first whispered in my ear, and established a templste for self-employment.

Because her advice was -- and is -- so pragmatic. so alternative.

Because the deal is making a living.

The real deal is enjoying making a living.

Barbara advises setting up profit centers. Seasonal work and side work, a variety of both. All adding up to a full year's income, fully engaged.

That's making a living without a job.

PRAGMATIC -- Making a living

Without a job -- ALTERNATIVE

I hope my former student's listening.

More about Barbara Winter -- and the other experts I've been listening to these past few years -- along the way.

Please stay tuned. . .

Joy, Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment